Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Annual Reports


Smart Start of Mecklenburg County 
Smart Start produces an annual report each year and we do not use templates. I create the concept and design it from scratch according to our branding. The report is developed via Adobe Photoshop and Indesign. I am responsible for the graphic design and layout, writing and editing, producing a print ready file, as well as an online file for our website. I work with our various departments to make sure we have the correct data and a local printer for mailing and distribution. I maintain our email and mailing databases. All of these documents were created using Adobe Photoshop and Indesign before converting them to PDF files. Please note, some files have pages that are not in numeric order as they are in a layout for saddle-stitch printing.

You can view the flip version on Flipsnack here.

To see the samples below, click on the link and you will be taken to a pdf file. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these files. If you do not have it, you can download it for free at adobe.com.

For the FY12-13, I decided to try something different. In order to make the report more interactive with users, I first exported the Indesign file to an SWF file so I could set a page curl effect. This allows users to turn the pages by grabbing the corner with a mouse click. However, I didn't want to upload it to the Internet in this file format since Mac and Ipad users cannot open flash files. Therefore, I imported the SWF file into a new PDF file and uploaded it to my employer's website. To open it, you will need to make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. When asked if you want to view it in full page mode, click yes. When you are finished, click escape.